Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Multiple Intelligences in the Classroom

1. Discuss which of the core characteristics best describe you and your learning style.

When I completed the Multiple Intelligence survery, my results showed I was strong in the Kinesthetic category. The core characteristic that best describes me and my learning style is Sensory.

2. Discuss what students with this type of intelligence enjoy, are like, or tend to do within classroom settings.

Students with this type of intelligence interact readily with their environment and enjoy doing hands on activities. Students with strong Kinesthetic and Sensory intelligence characteristics usually prefer to work up out of their seats and are active learners.

3. Discuss how you will support this type of intelligence within your classroom and within your teaching.

I will support this type of intelligence in my classroom by providing hands on activities and interactive situations. I will encourage and stimulate learning with manipulatives in math and science. Physical representations of concepts or ideas will be incorporated into my classroom on a daily basis.

4. Discuss what technologies stimulate thus type of intelligence.

Types of technology that will stimulate Kinesthetic and specifically sensory intelligence include, but are not limited to real life items students would see in their own households like kitchen utensils and construction tools and manipulative materials like perhaps building blocks and counting sticks.

5. And finally, discuss how you might impact student learning by applying your understanding of learning styles and multiple intelligences within your classroom.

I will positively impact student learning by using what I know about my own strengths, in this case specifically the Kinesthetic and sensory intelligence to foster the use of this intelligence in the minds of my students. Practically speaking, I can use this knowledge to set up my classroom in a more optimal learning environment because I will now provide kinesthetic intelligence technology like dining or place settings, manipulatives for math instead of just a white board and an oral explanation, and hands on learning centers where students can take instruction and knowledge and "do something".

1 comment:

  1. Great discussion of MI and how you might impact student learning by applying MI into your future classroom.

    ReplyDelete